I love eggplant in any form but especially with tomatoes with spices. This is a simple recipe for a weeknight vegetarian dish. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion, diced thin
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 14 ounces canned peeled tomatoes, with juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil in a stainless steel pan or ceramic dutch oven. Add the cumin seeds and heat about 30 seconds.
- Add the diced onions, and stir occasionally over medium heat until they are translucent.
- Add the eggplant and saute until the skin is turning brown and the flesh just starts to soften. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the red pepper flakes, coriander, garam masala, hand-crushed tomatoes, and salt and pepper. Turn heat to medium-low and cook until the eggplant is soft.
- Serve with basmati rice.