Another amazing recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi. Enjoy!
2 tablespoons of black currant preserves
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, finely sliced
2-3 skinless/boneless chicken thighs or chicken breast
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom pods
1/3 teaspoon freshly ground whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 1/4 cup basmati rice
550ml boiling water
1 tablespoon dill, chopped
1 tablespoon coriander, chopped
1/2 cup Greek yogurt, mixed with 2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Put the blackcurrant preserve in a small saucepan along with 1 oz of water and heat for a minute on low heat. Remove from the heat, and set aside.
2. In a dutch oven heat the olive oil and add the onions over medium heat and cook for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally until golden brown. Transfer the onions to a small bowl.
3. While the onions are cooking, salt and pepper the chicken thighs. Then rub the mixture of olive oil, cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon.
4. Over medium heat place the chicken in the dutch oven and sear for 5 minutes on each side and remove from the pan.
5. Add the rice, caramelized onions, salt and black pepper. Strain the blackcurrant mixture and them to the pot. Stir well and return the seared chicken and push into the rice.
6. Pour the boiling water over the rice and chicken, cover the pan and cook on a very low heat for 30 minutes.
7. Take the pan off the heat, remove the lid and place a clean tea towel over the pan and seal again with the lid for 10 minutes.
8. Add the herbs. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with yogurt sauce