Our dear friend Nicky gave me a copy of Yotam Ottolenghi’s Plenty, a cookbook of exquisite vegetarian recipes. We were also fortunate to have a meal at his restaurant Nopi in London (thanks to Preeti) and enjoyed this flavorful roasted eggplant dish. Enjoy!
2 large and long eggplants
1/4-cup olive oil
Fresh ground black pepper
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, plus a drizzle to finish
1 garlic clove, crushed or 1 tsp fresh garlic paste
1 pinch salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut the eggplants in half, lengthwise. Also, cut some slits inside the eggplant.
2. Place the eggplant, cut-side up, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary.
3. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, till soft and browned.
4. Either cut a fresh pomegranate or buy pomegranate seeds.
5. Whish the milk, yogurt, olive oil, and garlic. Salt to taste.
6. Spoon the sauce on roasted eggplant. Drizzle with some olive oil.
Recipe adapted by Yotam Ottolenghi’s book Plenty.