I really enjoy a crusty, moist cake for dessert with my tea. However, most cakes are made with butter for moisture. This olive oil cake allows a rich and decadent treat with a hint of citrus and almond. Enjoy!
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2/3 almonds, toasted and crumbled
Powdered sugar, for sifting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil an 8-inch-diameter cake pan, I use a spring-form pan.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- In a mixer, beat the sugar, eggs, and zest until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the milk.
- Gradually beat in the oil. Nice and slow!
- Add the flour mixture then the almonds.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Place cake pan on baking pan to collect any possible spills. Bake for 35-45 min, it’s done when the toothpick in the center comes out crumbly.
- Cool for 15 minutes on a rack.
- Remove cake and sift powdered sugar over the cake.