We have been eating vegetarian this week and one of our favorite dishes is chickpeas with potato in a tomato and onion curry. Chickpeas are in the legume family and high in protein. They has been eaten for over 7,500 years. They were introduced to India via Kabul, Afghanistan in the 18th century. This vegetarian Indian dish is often made in Northern Indian, especially in the state of Punjab or as my friend, Namrata would say “the best place on Earth”. Enjoy!
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, diced
1 can of chickpeas
2 medium potatoes, cubed
1 tbsp garlic/ginger paste or fresh garlic/ginger
1 tsp paprika or chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garam masala
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 tbsp grapeseed or olive oil
Salt to taste
Pinch of cinnamon
Cilantro for presentation
- Heat a pressure cooker over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, onion, cumin, cinnamon, bay leaf and a pinch of salt.
- Add garlic-ginger paste, cilantro to the pan with the onions.
- Add the diced tomatoes and mix until it looks thickened.
- Next add coriander, chili powder, turmeric, cumin powder, garam masala and stir to coat.
- Now add the chickpeas and cubed potatoes. Add 1 ½ cup of water.
- Close the pressure cooker and continue to heat on medium.
- Wait for 5 pressures, and then turn off the heat.
- Let the pressure cooker cool on its own to improve the flavor of the chickpeas.
- Open the pressure cooker and check to see that the chickpeas and potatoes are cooked well, otherwise you can boil a bit further.
- Mash some of the chickpeas to thicken the curry.
- Add the chopped cilantro on top. Also squeeze half a lemon on top.
- Serve over rice, preferably Basmati rice.
One Comment Add yours
Most mouth watering recipe 🙂