Traditional bolognese is an easy weeknight recipe for a rich and satisfying meal. Bolognese is a sauce, known in Italy as ragu. It is a meat based sauce from Bologna, Italy. It is often served over a flat shaped pasta such as tagliatelle, lasagne, pappardelle or fettuccine. It is a slow cooked sauce with onion, celery, carrot mixed with various ground meat. Tomatoes and wine are added to thicken the sauce and add body. Enjoy!
1. Boil dried fettuccine in salted water, takes around 11 minutes to cook (depending on pasta)
2. Add olive oil to hot pan
3. Add shredded onions (1), shredded carrots (1-2) and chopped garlic (3 cloves), sweat until soft
4. Remove sausage (1lb) from the skin add crumbled meat to the middle of the pan. I used spicy italian pork sausage.
5. Add dried oregano, and season with salt and pepper
6. When the meat has slightly browned, add a tablespoon of tomato paste to the middle of the pan. Then add 250ml of red wine. Simmer till it is thickened.
7. Add 16oz of crushed tomatoes and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce and again simmer till desired thickness.
8. Finish with grated parmesan cheese